Hans Josephsohn was born in 1920 in Königsberg, in what was then East Prussia. His Jewish heritage prevented him from training as an artist, but in 1938 he started studying at the Accademia di Belle Arti in Florence on a scholarship. Soon after, the Italian racial laws forced him to flee to Switzerland, where he continued his studies and commenced his career as a sculptor. His works were displayed in solo exhibitions in Switzerland from the mid-1950s onwards, but it was not until the late 1990s that his work received widespread acclaim from the international public and art critics. Josephsohn’s works are on permanent display at the museo La Congiunta in Giornico, inaugurated in 1992, and at the Kesselhaus Josephsohn in St Gallen, opened in 2003.