Vincenzo Vicari was born in Lugano in 1911. Over the years, the building in which he lived became home to a succession of photography studios, the last of which was taken over by the young photographer in 1936. After receiving his diploma of Master of Photography from the ETH in Zurich (1939), he entered active service as a sergeant photographer in the Compagnia aviazione 10, the Ticino squadron of the Swiss Air Force. During the war, he took the first aerial shots of Lugano and filmed numerous documentaries. Between 1945 and 1962 he taught at the school for apprentice photographers in Trevano, while also developing his numerous business interests, until fi nally retiring from his career as a photographer in 1987. He died in 2007, at the age of 95.