Bally Artist Award 2022
Dominique Koch is the winner of the Bally Artist Award, the annual prize given by the Bally Foundation for Art and Culture in collaboration with MASI Lugano. The jury - composed of Bally Foundation Chairman and CEO Nicolas Girotto, Bally Creative Director Rhuigi Villaseñor, MASI Lugano Director Tobia Bezzola, Diana Segantini, curator of the Segantini Unlimited Foundation, and Elena Filipovic, director of Kunsthalle Basel - motivated their decision by praising: "the depth of the research that goes into the artist’s multisensory works, which investigate art’s potential to open up new, imaginative spaces and new perspectives on our world that are anything but banal."
Seven Swiss artists were thus nominated for the 2022 Bally Artist Award: Vanessa Billy, Monica Ursina Jäger, Loredana Müller, Denis Savary, Jennifer Merlyn Scherler, and the winner Dominique Koch. Koch’s name was put forward by panel member Gioia Dal Molin, who commented: "Dominique Koch’s wide-ranging artistic practice consists of outstanding video and sound works, as well as immersive sculptures and installations. The artist explores the potential coexistence of different species based on sustainability or alternative forms of collective coexistence in a future that is as utopian as it is dystopian."
- MASI Palazzo Reali
- via Canova 10, 6900 Lugano
- Tue / Wed / Fri: 11 am – 5 pm
Thurs: 11 am – 8 pm
Sat / Sun / Public Holidays: 10 am – 6 pm
- Dominique Koch, Sound Fossil (detail), 2022. Glass, organic residues. Photo credit: Julien Félix. Courtesy the artist. Sound: Tobias Koch
- Dominique Koch, Hybrids (Phasmida Dreaming) - detail, 2021, Beeswax & Bronze, photo credit: Julien Félix, courtesy the artist
- Portrait Dominique Koch. Photo credit: Julien Félix